How to Create Intuitive Art
You will need
- Water colour paint
- Brushes/ old tooth brush
- Black pen
I would like to share with you a technique I often use to create my artwork. I came up with this idea a few years ago and have created many paintings since. The basic idea is to create a background using water colour paint and then drew over it in black pen. Don’t over think what you are doing. I have found that this technique works best if you don’t plan but follow your intuition instead. Get creative and have fun.
- The first step is to get some paint on the paper. You don’t need to think about this too much, just splat it on in a random fashion.
- There are a few ways to do this. Make sure your paint brush is fairly wet, hold it above the paper and shake it to create drops or splashes. You can also use an old toothbrush; run your fingers through the bristles to create a speckled effect.
- You can also add lines or shapes at this stage, but don’t over think it. The great thing about this technique is that an image or idea will emerge as you go along. I often paint in this way if I am lacking inspiration.
- Create a few backgrounds using this technique and then put them aside to dry.
- Once your paintings have dried, use a black, fine line pen and draw on top of it. Look at the painting and see if any of the shapes you have created resemble anything. If it’s not immediately obvious choose one drop of paint and draw around it. Then create a pattern or drawing from this point. Add to it as you go until you have filled the page.